Saturday, 5 April 2008
The Dutch celebrate Sinterklaas on December 5th every year. Sinterklaas is a bishop from Myra who believes in helping the poor and giving. Children leave carrots in their shoes by the fireplace for Sinterklaas' horse and in return, receive chocolate coins, pepernootje (small ,very addictive, spiced cookies) and presents.
The Salcicia pasta recipe is from "Cook with Jamie" , a Sinterklaas present from Maartje.
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 .5 teaspoons fennel seeds
1-2 small dried red chilli
1 small bunch of fresh Italian parseley (pick leaves and chop)
600grams Italian sausage
100-150ml white wine
1 lemon's worth of zest and juice
1-1.5 cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese
1) Pound fennel seeds and chilli with a mortar and pestle.
2) Squeeze the sausages out of their skins and break them apart in a saucepan over medium heat with the back of a spoon. The meat should resemble minced meat. Add chilli and fennel seeds mixture +oregano and stir.
3) When it's almost done, pour the wine into the pan ,lower heat and let it simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
4) Boil pasta in a separate pot.
5) When pasta is ready, drain the water. Add the meat into the pot together with the pasta, lemon zest and juice, parmesan and parseley. Serve immediately.
Posted by Seri Nyonya at 4/05/2008 07:10:00 pm