Sunday 8 February 2009

Peaches+ Chicken+ Rice?? Huh?

Feeling rather gracious, I asked the Dutchman what he would like to eat for dinner. "You can pick ANYTHING", I said. "Anything you want. As long as you're happy. ".

"OK", says he. "There's this really lekker (translation: delicious) dish my mother used to make. I made it once for you. There were canned peaches in it"

"NOOOooOOOoOOOoO! That was disgusting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"But you promised. Anything I want."

Defeated, I searched for a recipe online and went to the Albert Heijn to buy some ingredients (+ collect football cards for the Dutchman who's rediscovering his youth).

The verdict: Much better than his botched attempt 2 years ago. Wouldn't cook it for myself but would make it again if he asks nicely :-P

This is probably one of the first 'Asian' dishes which became popular in The Netherlands quite some time back. Perhaps a very bastardized version of Indian or POSSIBLY Middle-Eastern or North-African.

Kip Pilaf met Perzik (Chicken Pilaf with Peaches)

What I used:

314g chicken, cubed
2 large white onions, chopped
3 large-ish garlic cloves , coarsely chopped
3 tbs kicap (ketjap) asin
1 tbs kicap (ketjap) manis
1 large can of peaches, coarsely chopped (don't throw away the syrup!)
1 heaped tablespoon sambal belacan
100ml water
140g tin of tomato puree
black pepper

1. Brown chicken in a deep saucepan. Transfer chicken to a container.
2. Using the same saucepan(chicken flavoured fat, yum;) ), saute onion and garlic until fragrant.
3. Pour in the syrup and water.
4. Add the tomato puree, kicap manis, kicap asin, sambal, pepper (+ salt and sugar if you want to. I didn't ) and a sprinkling of paprika powder.
5. Add chicken and let it simmer until the chicken is done. If the sauce is too watery, you can thicken it with some cornstarch.

I served it with basmati rice.

No comments: