Tuesday 23 June 2009

Baking Frenzy


I felt like oatmeal cookies so I made them. I then saw that the yoghurt will be expiring today so I baked a French Yoghurt Cake. As some peaches I paid full price for (kiasu! But really, 4 euro for 5 peaches..sad la if have to buang!)were getting bad (my fault, they've been in the drawer for about 2 weeks now...), I decided to include peaches into the cake. After baking the cake, I had some zestless lemons left and found a recipe for lemon curd without lemon zest so made that as well. All in one evening...


French Yoghurt Cake

Didn't take a picture of the lemon curd. I didn't like it- it had a metallic tang.

A good lemon curd recipe (have made it a few times) have been posted below (adapted from Sherry Yard). It's quite tart which is exactly how I like my lemon curd to be!

Lemon Curd
85g unsalted butter
225g sugar
6oz fresh lemon juice
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
6oz fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. grated lemon zest

Beat butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Then add the eggs and
yolks one by one and continue mixing. Pour in the lemon juice and stir
a few times.

Put mixture into saucepan and cook over low heat until smooth and all
butter has melted. Increase heat to medium and stir until thickened.
Do not let it boil! Stir in lemon zest. Let it cool. Chill in fridge.

Breakfast:
Buttermilk pancakes for me


Fried eggs with Gouda cheese and ham and cornbread for the Dutchman


I had a summer job interview today. It's hard looking for a temporary job which only lasts 3 weeks (I'll be away for most of my summer vacation) so although the pay is quite lousy, I guess I shouldn't mind. The job includes babysitting a 3 month old baby girl, doing the groceries and cooking dinner for the grand total of 8 euro an hour (I'd also have to pay about 12 euro a day for public transport). 8 euro is about 40% less than what my usual rate is but hey, money is money and I'd like more to spend when my parents are here. The lady seemed nice and the baby didn't seem very difficult (cute cheeks haha)so I'll probably take it. I'm not sure if they'd pick me though because everyone would prefer someone who can stay longer and there are cheaper options out there (daycare is only 3-5 euro an hour). We'll see.

We went to the local Turkish restaurant for dinner. I LOVE the bread there. It's amazing- the best bread we have ever had. Dutchman had veal and I had lamb. As the boss recognized us, we got a free glas of wine:)

No comments: