Tuesday 7 July 2009

Blueberry Yoghurt Cake



I bake quite often these days. As I write this, rustic Italian almond bars (so easy, even my cat could make this) are in the oven.

Last night, I baked a blueberry yoghurt cake with a lemon glaze. The blueberries I bought were quite large so as you can see from the picture above, they sunk a little! The cake was absolutely beautiful though, amazing texture- very soft and fluffy. Perfect for thick slices and a cup of coffee. There are only 2 slices left. Dutchman and I polished off the rest!

Recipe:

For the cake
1.5 cups plain flour
1 cup plain full fat yoghurt
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used sunflower)
zest of one lemon
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 tsp salt
About 300g of blueberries (dusted with flour to prevent sinking)

For the glaze
juice of one lemon
powdered/icing/confectioner's sugar

Steps:
1. Sift flour, salt and baking powder.
2. In another bowl, beat everything else needed for the cake. Then, whisk the flour mixture gently into the wet ingredients (only until incorporated).
3. Fold blueberries in (again, do it gently).
4. Bake at 180 degrees celscius until done (about 50 minutes). If it browns too much, you can cover the cake with some foil while it bakes.
5. When cake is done and cool, pour glaze onto cake. To make glaze, mix icing sugar with lemon juice until thick.


Espresso Sablés. Nice, rather delicate things (confectioners' sugar instead of normal sugar) but I'll probably add more coffee and decrease the chocolate chunks next time.

Dutchman can cook a total of 3 things well. His specialities are spaghetti with meat sauce, stampot and bobotie (incidently a South African dish with Malaysian influence. Did you know that Malays were brought to S. Africa as slaves? I had NO clue but S. Africans will tell you this- about how the cuisine and language of these slaves have influenced them).

Last night, he made bobotie. This usually lasts us 2 dinners but that horrible cat of ours jumped on the counter and ate from the dish so we threw it out and sent the cat to her room!


Tonight, Dutchman is taking me out for dinner:-) I got my propadeuse (first year) in one year which is no big deal back home but it's a big thing here (60% fail). Can't wait!

1 comment:

Kamchaska said...

What a lovely collection of recipes you have here! I love the combination of different cuisines that you use for your cooking adventures:) Just one question - how big is the cup you use to measure the ingredients? I used mine for the Lemon Yoghurt cake and it came out disastrous:( Will you please let me know? Huge thanks, Kamila - also a visitor to this intriguing country;)