Tuesday 19 January 2010

Spago's Chocolate Chiffon Cake

I love chiffon cakes. I grew up eating Pandan flavoured chiffon cake from the 'pasar malam' (night market). Never made them though as I did not have a chiffon cake pan (I do now, Mum brought her old pan in July) and it seemed a little fiddly (cream of tartare which I can only buy from speciality shops. Finally found one in Utrecht), but I would think of it all the time. The texture is gorgeous, I love the airy-ness and would also ,just for fun, squish them before putting it into my big gob.




No fresh pandan here and I've heard that pandan essence is disgusting. Initially, I wanted a vanilla/fruit flavoured chiffon cake but whilst researching, I kept coming across praise for this chocolate chiffon cake so I decided to make that instead!

The verdict? A nice, moist chocolate cake but... not the chiffon cake, I'm looking for. If you're Malaysian, you might know what I'm talking about! This cake doesn't keep well so try to eat it on that day itself/day after.

Recipe here

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hiya,
Stumbled on your blog coupla months back. Are you also on FB's group "Malaysians in Netherlands"?