Thursday 8 October 2009

The Economy?

I don't work part-time anymore. The parents of the little girl I used to babysit separated some time ago. Because they weren't married (very common especially among the well-educated bunch), the mother has full custody of the child. I work for the dad so you can conclude what happened. I don't mind, the parents have more things on their minds right now and I don't really need the money but it would have been nice to have a chance to say goodbye to the little girl. Considering the dad himself, barely had a chance to, I shouldn't complain...

I've been trying to look for a part-time position but it's difficult because my timetable changes every 6 weeks and because my hourly rate is on the high side. Still, I used to get emails once in a while from random families (even when I only had au pair-ing experience!). Now, I don't even get emails from people offering 5 euros an hour. Could it be the economy? I guess that's possible. A number of acquaintances were laid off and many people expect it to get worse.

Luckily, the Dutchman has a permanent contract and is on actively 'on duty' (as opposed to a few months ago when he was drawing a salary but didn't have an actual assignment) so the chances of him getting fired are minimal. Would be nice to earn some extra money so that I can save for my study abroad though... It'll be expensive, maintaining 2 households at the same time.

Gonna hope for the best!

No comments: